Thursday, March 5, 2015

God is Present In Spite of Your Loss


God is Present In Spite of Your Loss
An Incident in Hospital Pastoral Care
Rev. Edgar Welty Acting as a Chaplain Intern and a Woman of Courage

Background:

            It normally would not be a good thing for a niece to have a baby die of SIDS.  But when that happened and I was called on to do a graveside service it prepared me to be present for another woman at the hospital. For the graveside service I had time to read Why Bad Things Happen to Good People.

Incident

            Shortly thereafter I was “On Call” when the phone rang from Marin General.  A woman had just lost her baby in the process of delivering it. She demanded clergy to tell where God was in her situation. I told her I didn’t know why what had occurred had but we needed to believe God was there anyway. She took it in and asked to baptize her dead child. (which I had also done with the SIDS baby.)
            The next day she told me she had a tilted womb and would try again to have a child. She was also saving her “Mother’s Milk” for dry women with live children. I’ve rarely seen such courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment