Saturday, January 10, 2015

Biblical Interpretation


Biblical Interpretation
          My approach to biblical Interpretation is shaped by my experience.  I have read through the entire Bible 2-3 times as a result of a year long reading plan.  For years I co-led a bible study group as an Elder in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and as a United Methodist Lay Speaker.  Our studies were based on the Revised Common Lectionary.  So was my preaching when, after earning a four year Masters of Divinty Degree, I was ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament to serve a United Church of Christ Church in Rochester, New York.  Thereafter, I also provided pulpit supply for two Lutheran (ELCA) congregations. The first was for 2-3 months in a small village in upstate New York. The second was for almost five years in Tiburon, California.
            To prepare for “Bible Study” and preaching, I used annotated Bibles, Bible dictionaraes and commentaries. The best annotated Bible I’ve found is the New Oxford Annotated Bible. I like the Anchor Bible Dictionary in six volumes.  Commentaraes I’ve used include the Interpreter’s Bible in twelve volumes and its new edition. I also use  Mastering the New Testament in twelve volumes and Mastering the Old Testament in twenty volumes.  Preaching guides include the New Procalmation, Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary and Preaching Through the Christian Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment